University History

1863
Mr. and Mrs. J.C. Hepburn founded an English academy in Yokohama. This Hepburn Academy, along with the Brown Academy (founded in Yokohama by S.R. Brown), had as its aim moral education based upon the Christian faith. This is the spirit of Meiji Gakuin, and this spirit has played a primary role in its development.
September 1877
The Tokyo Union Theological Seminary, a merger of three churches (the Presbyterian Church in the United States, the Dutch Reformed Church in America, and the United Presbyterian Church of Scotland), was established in the Tsukiji enclave in Tokyo.
April 1880
The Hepburn Academy moved to the Tsukiji enclave and changed its name to “Tsukiji Dai-Gakko”. J.C. Ballagh was its principal.
June 1886
The Tokyo Union Theological Seminary merged with the United Japanese-English Union School and the Japanese English Preparatory School and assumed the name “Meiji Gakuin”.
・The United Japanese-English Union School was the result of the merging of Tsukiji Dai-Gakko and the Senshi School, which was managed by the American Reformed Church in Yokohama.
・The Japanese English Preparatory School was a preparatory school for the United Japanese-English Union School opened in the Kanda area of Tokyo.
January 1887
The Tokyo Government allowed the establishment of the private institution Meiji Gakuin, and its campus was opened at its present location in Shirokane.
October 1889
J.C. Hepburn was appointed as Meiji Gakuin’s first President.
1907
The school song was created from a poem written by Toson Shimazaki, with music by Kyuhachi Maeda.
April 1928
The Trade High School became an independent department.
March 1930
The theology department was moved away from the main campus as a result of the establishment of the Japan Theological Seminary.
April 1947
The middle school had its name changed to Meiji Gakuin Junior High School, and it was separated from the high school due to educational reforms.
April 1948
Meiji Gakuin High School was established due to educational reforms.
April 1949
The establishment of Meiji Gakuin University was approved. Primary and secondary arts faculties were established, each with departments of English, sociology, and economics.
April 1952
Faculty name changes and the creation of new departments were approved. Primary and secondary faculties of letters were established, each with departments of English and sociology, and primary and secondary faculties of economics were established, each with departments of economics and commerce.
April 1965
The Faculty of Letters Department of Sociology was abolished and the Faculty of Sociology & Social Work was established with the Department of Sociology and the Department of Social Work. The Department of French Literature was established in the Faculty of Letters. The Secondary Department of Sociology of the Faculty of Letters was replaced with the Secondary Department of Sociology of the Faculty of Sociology & Social Work.
April 1966
Primary and secondary faculties of law were established, each with a department of law.
October 1976
The General Education Council changed its name to the Faculty of General Education.
May 1982
The groundbreaking ceremony was held for the new school building in Yokohama.
April 1985
The Yokohama school building opened.
April 1986
The Faculty of International Studies Department of International Studies was established.
February 1989
A groundbreaking ceremony was held for the first stage of redevelopment of the Shirokane campus.
April 1990
The Faculty of Letters Department of Art Studies and Department of Psychology, and the Faculty of Law Department of Political Science were established.
February 1993
The first stage of the main university building is completed.
April 1996
The Faculty of Economics Department of Economics and Secondary Department of Economics were renamed the Department of Business Administration.
April 1998
Educational reforms were implemented. The general college subjects were redesigned so as to be common to all departments, and the curriculums were reformed.
April 2000
Day and night courses opened at the Faculty of Law Department of Current Legal Studies.
Day and night courses were also made available at the Faculty of Sociology & Social Work Department of Sociology and Department of Social Work.
April 2001
The university went completely to a semester system. The university completely goes over to a semester system.
2002
The Center for Liberal Arts was inaugurated.
2003
Redevelopment was completed at the Shirokane campus.
2004
The Faculty of Psychology Department of Psychology and the Graduate Law School were established.
2006
The Faculty of Economics Department of International Business was established.
2010
The Faculty of Psychology Department of Education and Child Development was established.
2011
The Faculty of International Studies Department of Global and Transcultural Studies was established.

HepburnsHepburns

The Shirokane campus during the Taisho EraThe Shirokane campus during the Taisho Era

The present-day Shirokane campusThe present-day Shirokane campus

Near the front gate of the school at the beginning of the Showa EraNear the front gate of the school at the beginning of the Showa Era

Near the front gate of the school in the present dayNear the front gate of the school in the present day