Recruitment of Full-time Faculty Member (Tenured)
As part of its ongoing curriculum development, Meiji Gakuin University's Center for Liberal Arts is soliciting applications for a full-time, tenured faculty member. Meiji Gakuin is one of the oldest, most established Christian universities in Japan; the successful applicant will have a good understanding of Christianity.
(1) Teaching General Education English at the Yokohama and Shirokane campuses;
(2) Serving on various administrative committees; and
(3) Participating in various on-campus and extra-curricular activities.
2. Position and rank
Lecturer, Associate Professor or Professor, depending on age and experience.
3. Applicant qualifications
(1) English as a first language;
(2) Ph.D. degree, Ph.D. candidate certificate (ABD) or the research equivalent in the culture, literature or language of the English speaking world (including English language education) or Japonology; and
(3) Sufficient Japanese ability to carry out all job-related duties.
4. Application deadline
The application packet must be received by September 20, 2011.
5. Date of appointmen
April 1, 2012
6. Materials to be submitted
(1) Curriculum Vitae, with photograph and e-mail address;
(Download the form from the Center for Liberal Arts "Recruiting" page.)
(2) List of publications;
(3) Three sample publications (photocopies acceptable) with accompanying 250-word abstracts in English; and
(4) Essay on improving university English education in Japan
(in English; approximately 1500 words).
7. Selection procedure:
Successfully vetted applicants will be called for an interview, including a mock lesson.
8. Send the application package to:
Saishi Shimada, Dean
Center for Liberal Arts
Meiji Gakuin University
1518 Kamikurata-cho, Totsuka-ku
Yokohama-shi, Kanagawa-ken 244-8539
* The envelope should be clearly marked "Application for a teaching position (B)" in red.
* Applicants wishing to have materials returned must include a self-addressed, stamped envelope.
* Personal information collected will not be used expected for the selection process.
9. Questions regarding the appointment may be directed via e-mail to the following address: