Department of International Studies, Faculty of International Studies Meijigakuin University
1. Teaching Responsibilities:
“日本政治論” (Japanese Politics), related lectures and seminars (taught in Japanese).
The candidate is expected to teach some lectures in English, e.g., “Politics and Society in Japan.”
A preference will be given to candidates who are able to lecture on Japanese contemporary politics
with insights from the fields of political history or the history of political thought, paying due regard
to the interdisciplinary character of the Department of International Studies.
2. Area of Specialization:
Japanese Politics, Japanese Political History or History of Japanese Political Thoughts.
Scholars who specialize in local self-government or politics of welfare may also apply.
3. Position and Rank:
One full-time, tenured position
Rank: Associate Professor or Lecturer
4. Address of work location and other information
Yokohama Campus (Occasionally, trips to Shirokane Campus are requested.)
The candidate is required to have a Ph.D. In exceptional cases, those without a Ph.D. but with an equivalent level
of knowledge and has demonstrated substantial research and professional experience will be considered.
Japanese communication skills are needed for both teaching and administrative duties.
6. Application deadline:
Applications must be received by April 25, 2016.
7. Starting Date:
April 1, 2017
8. Application materials:
(1) Curriculum vitae with a photo and email address.
(2) List of publications.
(3) Reprints or copies of three publications. Each publication should be attached with summary in Japanese (800 characters in length).
Indicate the most important one out of the three with a circle in the list of publications.
(4) An outline and syllabus for a lecture class on “日本政治論” (Japanese Politics). There should be a total of 30 class sessions (90 minutes each).
(5) Essay in Japanese (2000 characters) on how you can contribute to the education in the Department of International Studies.
(6) List of two references.
Notes:*Candidates must use a standardized form for items (1) and (2).
The form can be downloaded from the following links:
*Application materials will not be returned.
*Personal data provided on these forms will only be used for the purpose of selecting candidates for this post.
Shortlisted candidates will be asked to attend an interview and give a demonstration class, expected to be scheduled on June 4 or 5, 2016.
10. All the above materials must be sent in one package marked “Application for Japanese Politics” in red letters on the front.
The package should be sent to the following address by registered mail or an international courier service:
Professor Shigeki Takeo
Dean, Faculty of International Studies
Meiji Gakuin University
1518 Kamikurata-cho, Totsuka-ku,
Yokohama-shi, Kanagawa, 244-8539 Japan
11. For further information, please contact the Faculty of International Studies Office at:
Note: Meiji Gakuin is a private university, founded as a missionary school in 1863.
Applicants are expected to have an understanding of the principles and spirit of Christianity.