Position Opening for Principles of Intercultural Communication
1) Subject Area: Principles of Intercultural Communication(to be taught in Japanese), Intercultural Communication(to be taught in English)
2) Position: Professor (Tenured)
3) Starting Date: April 1, 2012
4) Department: Department of International Studies in the Faculty of International Studies
5) Location: Meiji Gakuin University Yokohama Campus
1. Candidates must have the Ph.D. or equivalent.
2. Candidates must have demonstrated significant research achievement in intercultural communication focusing on the culture and society of the English language region, and must be able to teach courses from a cross-cultural perspective. Hence, candidates specializing in American or English literature, comparative literature, American studies, English studies, sociology are a good fit for the position).
3. Candidates must be able to teach Intercultural Communication using English as a medium of instruction and preferably be able to teach a field studies course, which involves organizing and directing off-campus (overseas) study trips. In addition, candidates must be able to teach the Introductory Seminar, Seminar 1, Seminar 2, Seminar 3, and direct the Graduation Thesis.
4. Candidates may be of any nationality.
5. Candidates must have taught in a university as full professor or have taught more than 6 years as associate professor.
6. The course, Principles of Intercultural Communication (to be taught in Japanese) is a required course for the English Teaching Credential Program (under the requirement of the area “Intercultural Understanding”) based on the COURSE OF STUDY FOR FOREIGN LANGUAGES of the Ministry of Education.
1. Curriculum Vitae (attach a photo).
2. List of academic research publications from the above stated areas of specialization, mark three principal papers from the past five years with a circle, and put a double circle on the one paper which is the most significant work from among the three.
3. Three principle papers from the past five years (photocopies acceptable) and include an abstract for each (approximately 600-800 characters in Japanese).
4. Syllabus of each of the following courses (on A4 paper, 1-2 pages)
a. Principles of Intercultural Communication --15 classes per term (in Japanese)
b. Intercultural Communication –15 classes per term (in English)
5. Document that shows the completion of the terminal degree (photocopy acceptable)
6. Statement of Application which explains why the applicant is qualified and is a good fit for the position outlined above (1000-2000 characters in Japanese)
Applications should be sent by registered mail to with the subject line “Application for Intercultural Communication Position” to reach us by Thursday, 31 March, 2011.
PIC Search Committee, Faculty of International Studies, Meiji Gakuin University 1518 Kamikurata-cho, Totsuka-ku, Yokohama 244-8539, JAPAN.
Enquiries about this position can be addressed to email@example.com