To all students
April 3, 2020
Meiji Gakuin University
The novel Coronavirus Covid-19 is spreading rapidly around the world. When university students are infected, they very rarely display symptoms due to their youth. However, there have recently been numerous reports of young people developing serious symptoms, besides which there is a considerable risk of transmitting the infection to others while being unaware that one has caught it. We therefore call upon all our students to strictly observe the rules listed below, to make sure you get the latest information from the university website and other media, and to do your utmost to prevent the further spread of the Coronavirus.
* Please check your temperature every morning.
* Please wear a mask at all times, even if you do not have symptoms such as coughing, sneezing, runny nose, sore throat or a high temperature. Avoid conversation at close quarters.
* The easiest time to catch the infection is during conversation over meals, so please refrain from this. Since you will have to remove your mask when eating, there is nothing to stop tiny droplets of water flying to and fro between you and others eating with you, a prime cause of infection.
* Please strictly observe coughing etiquette, as prescribed here:
*In order to strengthen your immune system, please do your best to get plenty of sleep, a suitable amount of exercise, and a balanced diet.
* Please be careful to wash your hands in the prescribed manner before meals, when returning home, after using the toilet, and after touching things that many others may have touched, such as leather straps on trains and buses, doorknobs, light switches etc.Please also take care to clean your hands with alcohol-based disinfectant.
* Do not venture outdoors if you are feeling unwell. Even if you are not, avoid unnecessary or non-urgent excursions, and take particular care to avoid enclosed spaces, crowded places and places involving close contact with other people.
Please follow directives to cease outdoor activities and the use of facilities for outdoor activities.
* All people, including current students presently located overseas, must comply with the university’s policy on international travel, based on crisis management levels established by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
* At present, every country in the world is at crisis management level 2 or above, meaning that in principle, all foreign travel is banned.
* Students returning from foreign countries must without exception self-isolate at home for two weeks.
If you have symptoms such as a temperature of 37.5C (99.5F) or above, coughing, runny nose, excessive phlegm, sore throat, unusual lethargy, breathing difficulties, headache, muscle pain, diarrhea, or abnormalities in your sense of taste or smell, then please refrain from going out. See the following websites and contact them.
■MEDICAL INFORMATION SERVICES FOR FOREIGNERS
■The COVID-19 Call Center