Associate/Assistant Professor Position in Economy of South east/South Asia)
Department of International Studies, Faculty of International Studies
Meiji Gakuin University (Yokohama, Japan)
The Department of International Studies, Faculty of International Studies, Meiji Gakuin University, invites applications for the position of Associate/Assistant Professor; the area of specialization is the Economy of South east/South Asia. This is a full time, tenure-track position that will start on April 1, 2012. The successful candidate will have a doctoral degree in a relevant field (or is expected to complete a doctoral program by March 2012), or is a scholar with an equivalent recordin research and teaching. Scholars with expertise in global politics and economicsare strongly encouraged to apply.
The successful candidate’s teaching duties will include:
The Economy of South east/South Asia in Japanese (Tonan/Minami Asia Keizairon)
The Economy of South east/South Asia in English
Area Studies (South east/South Asia) in Japanese (Tonan/Minami Asia ChiikiKenkyu)
Seminars for 1st through 4th year studentsrespectively
Supervising B.A. (graduation) theses
Guiding Field Studies tours
Although we invite applicants of any nationality, the successful candidate should have a reasonable level of Japanese for teaching and administrative matters. Even if an applicant’s first language is Japanese, she/he willalso be expected to teach courses in English.
1. Curriculum vitae with a photo and email address.
2. Syllabus (length: 2 pages) for the Economy of South East/South Asia course.
3. List of publications. Please circle the three publications that are most relevanttothe area of specialization; indicate the most important of these three with a double circle.
4. Reprints or copies of the three most important publications.
5. Two letters of reference, either in Japanese or English. Each letter must be within one page. The submission of these letters is optional.
6. A one- or two-page cover letter by the applicant that outlines their academic background, research interests, teaching abilities and reasons for applying for this position in the Faculty of International Studies. For items 1and 3, a prescribed form must be used; this form can be downloaded from the website listed below. All the materials must be printed on A4-sized paper except for item 4. Application materials will not be returned.
Application forms are available at:
All of the above materials should enclosed in one packet, and sent by registered mail or international courier to:
Professor Nozomu Abe
Dean, Faculty of International Studies
Meiji Gakuin University
1518 Kamikurata-cho, Totsuka-ku,
Yokohama-shi, Kanagawa, 244-8539 Japan
On the front of the packet, please write in red ink “Economy of South east/South Asia.”
Deadline for applications: September 15, 2011
After a screening of applications, selected candidates will be invited for an interview and a brief presentation.
For inquiries on this position:
Meiji Gakuin University
The Faculty of International Studies