The Center for Liberal Arts, Meiji Gakuin University, invites applicants for a faculty position
in General Education English with the conditions given below:
- Teaching General Education English and elective courses at the Yokohama and Shirokane campuses;
- Serving on various administrative committees; and
- Participating in various on-campus and extra-curricular activities
September 1, 2017
Associate Professor level
Applicants must fulfill the following qualifications
1. Hold a doctoral degree in the language, culture or society of the English speaking world or related field.
(Those who are Ph.D. ABD or hold equivalent scholarly achievements will also be considered.)
2. Have experience teaching, and an understanding of Japanese students who have learned English in the Japanese EFL context.
3. Have English proficiency at native or near-native level, and have sufficient Japanese proficiency to carry out a range of
administrative duties at the university. OR have Japanese proficiency at native or near-native level, and have sufficient English
proficiency to conduct classes in English.
*Meiji Gakuin promotes gender equality and women are strongly encouraged to apply.
*Applicants able to live within commuting distance of the university at the start of employment are desired.
2017/3/31 Deadline for receipt
Applications must be sent by post and arrive by the deadline. No e-mailed or faxed applications will be accepted.
1. Curriculum Vitae
2. List of academic achievements (use Meiji Gakuin format for 1 & 2 downloadable below)
3. Reprints or copies of three major publications with accompanying 250-word abstracts in English
4. Proof of highest level of education (copy of diploma is acceptable)
5. University transcript from highest level of education
6. Sample syllabus in English for a content course in the applicant’s specialization targeted to Japanese students
with TOEFL ITP scores of 450 (2 semester, 90 minutes x 15 class meetings)
Successfully vetted applicants will be called for an interview, including a mock lesson.
Applications should be sent by post to:
Sadao Kurokawa, Dean
Center for Liberal Arts
Meiji Gakuin University 1518 Kamikurata-cho, Totsuka-ku,
Yokohama-shi, Kanagawa-ken 244-8539 JAPAN
*The envelope should be clearly marked “English Position Application” in red.
*Applicants wishing to have materials returned must include a self-addressed, stamped envelope.
*Personal information collected will be treated confidentially, and will not be used beyond the selection process.
Meiji Gakuin is one of the oldest, most established Christian universities in Japan; the successful applicant
will have a good understanding of Christianity.
Questions regarding the appointment may be directed via e-mail to the following address: firstname.lastname@example.org
*Should any discrepancies or doubts arise between Japanese and English versions of the advertisement, the Japanese version will prevail.