Department of International Studies, Faculty of International Studies Meijigakuin University
The successful candidate will be expected to teach “European Art,” “European Regional Studies,” “Christian Cutlure,” or a similar
field relating to European culture and society. They will also conduct seminars and guide undergraduate thesis projects.
Position and Rank:
One full-time (tenured) position at the Professor, Associate Professor, or Lecturer level.
(1) A Ph.D. is required, or the candidate must have attained an equivalent level of knowledge and research experience.
(2) Specialization in European art, Christian cutlure, or a similiar field, with published research on European culture, society, or history.
(3) If possible, the candidate should also be able to offer an off-campus field studies course.
(4) The position is open to applicants of any nationality, but they are required to have a high level of Japanese proficiency that allows
them to teach and conduct administrative work in this language.
Place of Employment:
Meiji Gakuin University’s Yokohama Campus, with occasional duties at the university’s Shirokane Campus
Applications must arrive by September 19th, 2017.
April 1st, 2018
1. Curriculum Vitae with attached photo.
2. List of publications. (Please circle three publications you have produced in the last five years that are most relevant to the position’s areas
of specialization. Indicate the most important publication with a double circle).
3. Single copies of the circled publications, printed on single-sided A4 size paper.
Provide a summary of each selection (600-800 characters in Japanese, or 250 words in English).
4. A syllabus for a specialized course on “European Art,” “European Area Studies,” or “Christian Culture”
(1~2 pages, A4 size paper).
5. A personal statement on your suitability for the position and your teaching and research aspirations
(1000~2000 characters in Japanese, or 500 words in English).
*All materials must be submitted on A4 size paper.
*Items 1 and 2 require you to use the university’s standardized forms.
*Submitted materials will not be returned to applicants.
*The proivded personal information will only be used for the purpose of this search.
*Use the Western calendar for all year dates.
Please download the university standardized forms from this link:
Following a review of all the applications, the committee will invite selected candidates for an interview.
(They may also request a teaching demonstration).
The interviews will be scheduled for early or mid-October, 2017.
Applications must arrive by Tuesday, September 19th, 2017
Address for application submissions
Professor Takeo Shigeki
Dean, Faculty of International Studies
c/o Yokohama General Affairs Division Meiji Gakuin University
1518 Kamikurata-cho, Totsuka-ku Yokohama-shi, Kanagawa 244-8539 Japan
*All of the above materials must be sent in one package that is marked on the front with
“Appication for International Faculty Member Position (European Culture)” in red letters.
For further information, please contact the Faculty of International Studies.
*Meiji Gakuin University’s founding spirit of nurturing human character is based on Christian values.
The university hopes candidates will please understand the spirit of Meiji Gakuin’s educational foundation.