◇ Position Information
The Department of Global and Transcultural Studies, Faculty of International Studies, Meiji Gakuin University
Professor, Associate Professor or Lecturer (tenured)
Area of specialization:
Economic Policy or Business Economics
Number of openings:
One full-time position
Place of employment:
Meiji Gakuin University Yokohama Campus
April 1, 2019 or September 1, 2019
Courses to teach:
Introduction to Economics (micro and macro), Economic Policy or Business Economics, and small-class workshops/seminars. In principle, all courses will be taught in English.
A Ph.D. or equivalent research expertise in economics or a closely related field.
Passion for teaching principles of economics to students with various academic backgrounds. Experience in teaching English-based courses at higher-education institutions is preferred; experience/skills in organizing active-learning classes will be an asset.
Working knowledge in Japanese (necessary for administrative duties).
◇ Application Information
(1) Curriculum Vitae.
(2) List of publications. Please indicate your most significant publication with a ◎ mark. Indicate two other important publications with a ○ mark.
(3) Single copies of the three circled publications, each with a summary of 200-300 words. At least one publication must be in English.
(4) A statement on your teaching and research aspirations (400-500 words).
(5) A syllabus for an undergraduate course on Economic Policy or Business Economics (15 class sessions of 90 minutes each).
(6) A syllabus for an undergraduate course on Introduction to Microeconomics or Introduction to Macroeconomics (15 class sessions of 90 minutes each).
(7) Name and contact information of two professional referees (including their e-mail addresses)
※ There are designated forms for items (1) and (2). Please download the relevant file from:
All application materials should be sent in one package that is marked in red letters “Application for Economic Policy/Business Economics” on the front. Please send the package by registered mail or international courier service to:
Professor Hiroshi Toya
Dean of the Faculty of International Studies
c/o Yokohama General Affairs Division
Meiji Gakuin University
1518 Kamikurata-cho, Totsuka-ku
Yokohama-shi, Kanagawa 244-8539 Japan
Application deadline: July 6, 2018 (deadline for receipt)
※ Submitted materials will not be returned to applicants. Personal information provided with these materials will not be used for purposes other than the selection for the advertised position.
◇ Selection Process
Shortlisted candidates will be invited to Meiji Gakuin Yokohama Campus for an interview and a demonstration class in September or early October 2018.
The university will reimburse travel expenses to the interviewees.
◇ Other information
For further information, please contact the Office for the Faculty of International Studies at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Meiji Gakuin is a private university originally founded as a missionary school in 1863. The successful candidate will be expected to have an understanding of the principles and spirit of Christianity.